Thursday, December 4, 2014

Last Exploration-Emilia Martin

Part 1: One thing that I wrote this semester that I am proud of was my Narrative for essay 2. I feel like I did really well on it because it was more personal and I had to share a lot about myself and what I have learned over the years. My essay was about how I quit basketball my junior year but then rejoined the team to only sit the bench and just practice to being the only senior caption the next year. One passage I will share is: "I already announced to the team as they were lacing up for our scrimmage. I can still remember walking through the gym doors immediately overwhelmed with the smell of sweat, dirty shoes, and new leather basketballs. I was in my jeans and a t-shirt while the rest of my team wore cut-offs and basketball shorts. Basketballs were roaming the court, bouncing between the legs of my teammates. I can still hear the "swoosh" as the ball would arch just enough to miss the rim and descend through the hoop, grazing the net. The gym is my sanctuary, my escape, my court--or it was. My schedule did not consist of scrimmaging Liberty, our biggest rival, that day. That was to be the last day I would walk into the high school gym as an Orange basketball player." I chose this part of my paper because I really think that is well written with a lot of detail. I think it shows what exactly I was going through when I went to quit and talk to my team. It was truly the hardest thing I have had to do so far in my life and I just wanted to share what I experienced and tell all of you to never give up or quit no matter how hard it is because I can assure you, you will regret it if you don't stick it out!

Part 2: One subject that I want to share with the class is yoga. Okay you all might  be thinking thats weird or something unusual but I promise Im not one of those yogi gurus who meditates all day long or anything. I just have recently been going to yoga classes at my gym and have been doing some on my own as well. Yoga is one of those new trends going on, especially now in our country that is a great way to let of some steam and really truly relax if you completely focus your mind and body into the motions and the breathing. Yoga is a really great exercise for not only the body and our muscles but for our skin, brain, breathing and most importantly our mind. A lot of people think its a bunch of mumbo jumbo spiritual nonsense but it's far from it. It is a way to really get into oneself and reflect and release any stress in our lives while also simultaneously getting a good workout to either straighten our muscles and spine or just to stretch them. I have really come to enjoy it and am always relaxed after I do it, even if it's just a few moves before I go to bed or when I wake up in the morning. There are also so many books and literature or movies for yoga to help people get more in touch with it and to understand all that yoga has to offer us. My brother and his girlfriend have shared a lot with me too which is how I came to start taking up yoga. You all should try it!

yoganonymous.com is a good site to get started


4 comments:

  1. I never knew that yoga is growing that quickly. It seems as if you have to be very flexible to do yoga, but with the amount of stress that college puts on a student, yoga might be a great thing for many students and adults to check into to relieve some of their stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive heard a lot of great things about yoga. It never seems like something id be interested in but I feel like it would help a lot in snowboarding. A lot of professional snowboards do it, I might consider it, especially if I had friends to do it with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that yoga is such a healthy activity to get involved with. I know a couple of people who have tried to do yoga and they all say it is really hard. I think that I might give it a shot in the future. I really like reading about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yoga!!! I do it every monday night and its the greatest thing! It is so relaxing and hot yoga is my fave. I was a gymnast for 10 years and I am still in the sport for OSU's club team and im for sure feeling the tolls of such an intense sport and this always helps me loosen up and get in nice stretch

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.