Monday, December 8, 2014

Extra Credit - Nate Allen

The Square was a riveting documentary about how the revolutionaries in Egypt were constantly fighting for presidential change.They wanted a free state where Christians and Muslims could coexist without riots and constant fear of being killed in the streets while protesting. I thought it was a very good documentary that showed the ugly truth of how certain parts of the world have bad issues where the citizens cannot express the freedoms that we can in our country.While watching this documentary I felt very sad when I thought about how these poor innocent people are being murdered in the streets for trying to express themselves in a free environment. At the same time it was amazing to see how there were still people that wanted to make a change instead of surrendering and accepting the fact that their government and military were corrupt. I also liked how they wanted to show all of the violent and corrupt events. That certainly isn't what I was watching on the news during this time, I remember seeing the riots but never saw the army running over innocent protestors and shooting live ammo at them. A lot of the time you never get to see the raw footage of horrific injustices. I t made me feel good that this footage managed to make it out of Egypt without being taken by the army. This documentaries strengths I believe are what I already mentioned and it was the fact that they were able to show the raw footage of this conflict. Also the fact that you get to look at a culture that is in turmoil and how the true Egyptians continued to fight. The only weakness that I would have to mention is the fact the documentary is in subtitles. For me I hate reading while watching movies because it gives me a headache.

Egypt's current situation is one of uncertainty. On one hand they were able to get President Mosli to step down but that just means that the interim president is one that shares the same ideas and still has the military handle the countries issues with violent results. It is quite resembling of the South African apartheid in that the government of Egypt is trying to separate the citizens and they are using very violent methods to do so. The best part of this whole topic is how the story got out. Khaled Mohammed used Faccebook to share these gruesome videos and horrific stories of protests gone wrong. Facebook was the reason that this documentary was made possible by showing the footage before it could be taken. Overall this documentary was excellent and worth watching, and it most certainly affected how I look at issues that I see on the news. It makes me want to dig deeper on every bit of news I see because you never know when the news is being corupt or not showing the whole truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.