Sunday, December 7, 2014

Exploration 8-Jonathan Shim

Part one:
One of my best pieces I wrote this semester would have to be my essay two, where we had the chance to talk about an experience that changed our lives. I wrote about one of the struggles I came through in life and really helped me look back to see how far I have come in my life. Talking about how my dad wasn't around during much of my childhood made me bring back a lot of memories that helps me understand how I came to be the person I am today. This essay is also one of the first ones where I was able to open with a different style of a personified scene. "Pushing the heavy metal machine, back and forth, side to side. Having the sun relentlessly pound down wave, after wave of heat. Never taking a break so that I wouldn’t have to try to wake up the roaring beast again; pull after pull, digging my heels in, and giving it all I got, until, the beast awakened for its weekly walk around the yard.". Looking back at my life helped me remember why I do some of the things I do in my life today. Whenever trying to accomplish anything you usually start off with a reason of motivation on why you started, and looking back at your life can help you remember why you started in the first place giving you motivation all over again.

Part two:
This may sound contradicting and weird, but something about putting loads of stress on my body is the most satisfying and relaxing part of my day. In the past few years of my life I have started to lift weights. At first because a friend dragged me to go with him, but now as a passion for overcoming what may seem impossible to others. I tend to go to the gym four or five times a week, I would go more often if I had the time, and the affects of my trips to the gym are evident. Not only is going to the gym healthy for your body, but also great for your mind as well. The gym, especially for us students, give us a break from our usually studying to go workout and take care of our bodies. Also in return lifting weights can help blood flow throughout your body helping you feel more energized, awake, and focused with whatever other tasks you may have that day. This is why I believe that everyone should give lifting a try.
Also for great motivation people should watch the documentary called "Pumping Iron" and check out bodybuilding.com for different workouts you can do.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on this, I spent almost my whole summer lifting with one of my really good guy friends because i wanted to get more toned and stronger and every time i went i was of course exhausted but i always felt really great at the same time. It is hard to find enough time to get to the gym for a good workout or just a workout alone but i always try to squeeze in some time 3 to 4 times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you talked about how the struggles in the past and getting through them made you the person you are today. I also thought the part of your essay that you shared with us was amazing, the wording you used was incredible! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your discriptiveness in the piece you chose to share. It was super powerful and your diction was awesome. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean with your second part except for me its the stress of school and work. The stress the workload brings every week is hard but I kind of like the motivation the pressure forces me to have.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.