Thursday, December 4, 2014

Exploration 8- Jess Miller

Part 1) During this semester, something that I wrote that I am very proud of is one of my previous essays titled "Paid Paternity Leave".  In this essay, I talked about how I feel as if paid paternity leave should become a governed law because this would then allow men to receive paid time off work to be there to support his new child and the mother of his first-born.  There is about a 39% rate of new dads that take at least two week off of work when their ne child is brought into this world.  With that being said, there is about 14% rate of employers that offer paid leave for dads in the United States.  I chose to tell my classmates about this essay because I feel like it's a topic that should be considered. 

Part 2)  Something I feel that is very important in this day in age and something that I feel is very overlooked is poverty.  The United States continues to have one of the highest relative child poverty rates among all developed countries.  1 billion children worldwide are living in poverty. According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty.  In fact, 870 million people worldwide do not have enough food to eat. Food banks are especially important in providing food for people that can’t afford it themselves.  I feel like this topic is very important and is worth understanding because we as a country need to stick together and help each other out.  There are so many ways that the US is able to help out other countries that are way deeper in poverty than we are, but we just don't do as much as we should.  We do a lot, but I feel like we could do more.  We should all start making moves to better this world, together, as a whole.  I stumbled upon a poem that was very short and to the point (see below).

A Rich Man?
wealthy greedy eyes
hoarding shiny diamonds
poverty of soul

7 comments:

  1. I believe that this is a great topic that should be brought up and discussed. Most everyone has a child or children one day and has to take time off from work to take care of the new born. As humans I believe that we were put on this earth to evolve, reproduce, and parent the child into the proper direction, in hopes of the child to make a difference in the world. But for this to happen a father must provide for his child and also be a major part of the childs life. It is seen to be a challenge to balance out both of those matters in todays society, which is why I support this topic and proposal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree with you and this should be considered look at more. It is unfair to force a father to use up his sick and vacation days to take care of the new child in his life with his wife. Young need a lot of attention especially in the first couple weeks. Mothers shouldn't have to do it all on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with how poverty is an over looked issue in the united states. It's really hard to see some individuals struggle so hard just to get their next meal on the table. That is why I personally love volunteering my free time to soup kitchens and homeless shelters because I believe change has to start with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, I believe that this issue is definitely overlooked today. I believe that a lot of us take what we have for granted, and don't really think about how someone else might be really suffering. I also really like the poem that you chose, I think it really helps to get the point across.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that we should always get to know people and stop taking things for granted because some people have it so much more worse than us. We complain about things that others don't even have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paid paternity leave is totally something that should be brought into consideration. I think having a child is so stressful on the mother and I know so many new mothers are exhausted after carrying a child around for 9 months and then labor and need a lot of help. Poverty is a big problem and I think it does get overlooked quite often. People see the commercials and say awe thats sad but they dont donate money or do anything to help

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree completely, its unbelievable how overlooked poverty is and it doesn't make sense either. Why is it that we have people ,such as some performers, who are only famous because they were marketed with millions of dollars that they blow on ridiculous purchases when they're are families who don't even have enough money to buy food.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.