Friday, December 5, 2014

Exploration 8: Cory Smith

Part 1- I was definitely most proud of my essay 2. It was the first time I ever really came out and wrote about my troubled past for an audience that, I usually would be too uncomfortable talking about. I think that it was kind of relieving to be able talk about it again and where my past has gotten me today. I wouldn't be the same person probably if I didn't go through the hardships I did. This narrative is about my life growing up with a mother with many health problems and a abusive step father. My main themes were about the journey of life and how it shapes you. Also the value of family and how all families have their problems but a family grows through everything together and works toward a better future together. One passage I'll share is the closing, "When I got settled in at my dad’s, my grades improved right away and I was truly happy for once. It took a while to rebuild my relationship with my mom but we are closer now than we ever were. Jason realized his mistakes and apologized to me. I still didn’t like him for a longtime. I had a hard time looking past our history. I eventually grew close to him once again and to this day we still are close. My mom and step dad set good values for me and taught me a lot. Regardless of everything that happened, I think it was an eye opener for everyone in my family. We are now a closer family and better people. I love my whole family more than anything. I’m happy going off to college didn’t change anything, I’m still close with all of my family members. I wouldn’t be where I am today without each and every one of them." I just wanted to share this, because this was the beginning of the turning point in my life. From then on it was all healing I went through from then on. I'm comfortable and close with everyone in my family now. I'm happy to have the family I was put in. They are all the true reasons I am the way I am today. 

Part 2- I'm not saying its for everyone but if you can find something that you really enjoy and gives you a feeling like none other, keep doing it; for me it is snowboarding. It's hard to describe the feeling that I get from it, but it is something I crave year round. When you go ride back country, you're all one with nature. You find a inner peace with yourself and all your worries disappear. When you're at the peak, you feel closer to God. Ive been snowboarding and skiing since I was five. It's the one thing that truly makes me happy. Snowboarding can be so much more, as an escape from reality, traveling the world and just doing something with your best friends. One of my favorite movies of all time is Art of Flight. It follows just a year in the life of professional snowboarder Travis Rice and his friends. In a interview he says, "Ya know it’s funny, what’s happening to us. Our lives have become digital. Our friends, now virtual. And, anything you could ever wanna know is just a click away. Experiencing the world through second hand information isn’t enough. If we want authenticity we have to initiate it. We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It’s this self-discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on earth.”" In our age of technology, it can really be a distraction. This quote isn't just about in snowboarding, we all need to live life more.
www.artofflightmovie.com on Netflix

5 comments:

  1. I like how passionate you are about snowboarding. I think that it would be really cool to be a professional snowboarder. The quote that you put at the end was great and taught me a lot about living life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that everyone should find passion in something they love doing, just like you have found that in snowboarding. I also love the quote you have and have to agree with what he is saying and how electronic our world is. Finds like an interesting movie though, and considering I have Netflix, I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote you used really showed how passionate you are with snowboarding. It really shows how much of an impact it has made on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that everyone should find something that they are passionate about, and just keep doing it. And the quote that you used was something that I believe went really well with the point you were making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your essay was really powerful, and i'm glad everything is going good for you now! I think it's cool that you realize what you love to do, and you go after it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.