Thursday, October 23, 2014

Exploration 5-Nick Bogdue

1. Even though we just met her not that long ago, I think Esther has meant the most to me. I think she will end up making the biggest impact on Ismael. I think she will help Ismael work through his mental struggles, and help him get over his past so he can move foward in his life. She was being really nice to him, and was one of the first people in this book to show she cared for Ismael.

2. I feel like Ismael's rehabilitation is much needed. I deffenitly feel like he was on the wrong track, and if he kept up living like he was, he wouldn't have lived much longer. I think with the help of Esther, he will be able to power through his addiction. Right now, I would not want him to move into my neighborhood becuase of the crazy mindset he got into with the RUF. But, once he cleans up, I would have no problem with him moving into my neighborhood.

3. One thing that I pointed out immediatly when I read it was the mental struggles Ismael is going through in rehab. He was so dependant on drugs to get him through life, that he is having a hard time dealing with his thoughts without him. Addiction is a theme that really stood out in these chapters to me, along with escapism. Ismael not only was addicted to taking the drugs, but was addicted to the mental escape that went along with them.

4. My favorite passage in these chapters was at the end of chapter 17, the very last paragraph.  Ismael was talking about advice his grandma gave to him. "When I was a child, my  grandmother told me that the sky speaks to those who look and listen to it.." She said there is always answers in the sky, and Ismael talked about how he wanted the sky to talk to him. I thought this was a pretty cool passage, and thought it was really interesting. I think Ismael remembering things like this is what got him through the hard life he was living.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the fact that if he didn't get the help he needed he wouldn't live much longer. It's crazy how much one person can help to put someone on the right path like Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quote of "Ismael not only was addicted to taking the drugs, but was addicted to the mental escape that went along with them", really stood out to me. I never realized till now that, yes he was addicted to the mental escape that went along with the drugs. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like #4, because it is something that Ishmael can remember and look back on as a positive memory. Not a memory of war or killing but one with his family.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.