Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Exploration 4 Chandler Fullenkamp

After learning about the Tiananmen Square events I think the most striking thing is how the whole event was tried to be covered up and the total number of deaths can’t even actually be named. The official records say there was 200 to 300 deaths but the estimates say it could be as high as a couple thousand.  Also, it’s crazy to think something like this happened just 25 years ago.

The Ebola virus is pretty well known topic but the story I researched is an update of the man in Dallas that was infected by the Ebola virus.  He died today on October 8th and was cremated to kill the virus after he died.  Hours after his death another man was brought to the hospital for similar symptoms.  I researched the story on both the New York Times and Aljazeera.  I think that both of these are good resources to use but for this story New York Times was better.  It had 3 pictures and a video while Aljazeera did not have any.  They both had reliable sources for their quotes.  I think New York Times had more depth and caught up the story for anyone who doesn't have any previous information.
It doesn't show the chaos and destruction of that day but this picture shows the true size of the Tiananmen Square and shows how many people can be there to protest. 
This is a picture of the Hong Kong protests during a rainy day.  I think this shows the strength of the protesters and how much they care.  I think this gives a strong message that they won't stop until they get what they want.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked your picture of Tiananmen Square becuase it gives you an idea of how big it truly is. I also thought it was strange that they couldn't really determine exaclty how many deaths there were, and how they tried to keep it on the down low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the picture you chose to use for the Honk Kong protests because I too think that is really depicts the efforts and will of those protestors in China. Only those who truly believe in something and will fight for what they want will actually stand out in the pouring rain getting soaked. I think this picture really shows how hard they were willing to fight for pro-democracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chandler! I also elaborated on the topic of Ebola and how it's effecting so many! I enjoyed how you talked about PEOPLE that it has effected specifically rather then just telling us about the virus itself. For instance, when you watch news channels, it's mostly talking about the symptoms of this virus rather than who or how many it has effected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first picture was a really choice because it really expresses how big it is and how much effort it took for them to make the protests and try to have their voices heard. It is a very powerful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I as well did my news story topic on Ebola. I also found that I liked the New York Times better as it was straight to the fact of the news article. Really great picture of the protest in Hong Kong, it truly shows that rain or shine these citizens will fight for what they believe is justice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sad to think that all the victims were our age. When they were just peacefully protesting. As you can see from the pictures none of them were armed. Hopefully whats going on in Hong Kong will not result the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think its interesting you enjoyed the story article on Ebola with more videos and pictures better. Thats really where news is going for this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your use of the second picture, it really gives you a good idea of how many people were affected by what was going on in Hong Kong and how many people didn't agree with it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.