Thursday, October 23, 2014

Cory Smith Exp. 5

In chapters 14-18 in A long way gone, Esther has been my favorite character and meant the most to me so far. She constantly goes out of her way to make Ishmael feel good and comfort him. She didn't have to buy him anything but she she went out of her way to learn about what he loves and bought him the walk man. In the beginning when Ishmael first meets her, he is constantly rude to her and shows no interest in her at all. If it was me I would have given up on Ishmael but she continued to get to his heart. Everyone in the rehabilitation center constantly tells him that it's okay and it' not his fault. He never takes it to heart until one day when Esther said it. he gained her trust and actually believed it. 

At first Ishmael is so blinded by the war and hes become a young killer without any heart left. Hes been through so much. I think it would be hard to trust or care for a lot of people, if we were in his situation. Obviously he his a good example that rehabilitation is possible. He gained his innocence and childhood back. In the beginning of his rehabilitation, it would definitely be kind of scary if he lived in my neighborhood. He is a really tough kid.

At the end of chapter 17, the moon returns. He says, "The moon was out that night and we sat at the jetty and watched it. I told Esther about the shapes I used to see in the moon when i was much younger. She was fascinated..."This whole last two paragraphs are really important because I believe the moon not only represents happiness but also in him.When he began to change because of the war all the nights were black but then after his rehabilitation the moon returns. The sky has a way of speaking to us like Esther's grandma says.

"I would run outside to the middle of the soccer field and rock back and forth, my arms wrapped around my legs. I would try desperately to think about my childhood, but I couldn't. The war memoroes had formed a barrier that I had to break in order to think about any moment in my life before the war." I really like d this passage from pg. 149 because this is the turning point in his rehabilitation. He begins to really ant his childhood and innocence back but has to defeat his nightmares of the war still.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.