Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Exploration two Jarrod Mautz

My name is Jarrod Mautz. My fun fact was that I was originally born in Delaware, however, I just moved back recently. I also can make a funny noise with my ears. Ive lived in northern Virginia most of my life, although I have come back  to Ohio periodically throughout the years to visit family.
I was like 13

Born a free African American, Frances Ellen Watkins Harper, was born in Baltimore, Maryland in the early 1800s. After her parents died while she was just three years old, Frances was then raised by her Uncle and aunt. While there, Frances attended The Academy For Negro Youth run by her uncle; who happened to be an abolitionist. In her teen years she continued her education by working as a seamstress for a Bookstore owner in Baltimore. It wasn't, however, until after she turned 24 that Frances devoted her time to poetry and literature for the abolitionist movement. One interesting fact about Frances Harper was that she published one of the first nine books of poetry in Baltimore, and was the first African American Woman to publish a novel: Iola Leroy: or Shadow Uplifted (1893).

 Bury Me In A Free Land by Frances Harper was my favorite poem we read today because her attitude towards the United States reflected the feelings of many if not all African Americans during the time period. Her tone of disgust and sadness really added a depth to the poem. She resorted to using specific details of the events that transpired after a runaway slave was caught. I feel in modern day history classes teachers leave out the true gruesome punishments and events slaves had to endure. The pattern of the stanzas also really help the reader take in each event and ponder them individually. 

Here is a link about Frances Harper:
msa.maryland.gov/msa/educ/exhibits/womenshall/html/harper.html 

The word "shame" completely depicts the attitude of the poem Bury Me In A Free Land by Frances Harper. The Online Etymology Dictionary suggests the word Shame was originally thought to be meant by old Germanic countries as "modest or to cover ones self." However, during the Greek age poets and playwrights distinguished the word in a bad connotation meaning to "disgrace or dishonor," , which is at present the more commonly recognized definition. Furthermore, Frances Harper uses the negative connotation to her advantage to really portray the feelings many Northern Americans and African Americans felt towards slaves.  

It's a Shame so many people around the world still don't get along.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jarrod! I think the noise that you can make with your ears is pretty great. Bury Me In A Free Land was also my favorite poem! I also thought that her tone and sadness really expressed her feelings! Good stuff Jarrod!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! So I can't make a weird noise with my ears but I can move them! Well, only my left ear not my right which is kinda cool I guess. I agree that most classes don't really expand on the truly awful punishments that slaves, African American as well as any other race that was enslaved, because it is very difficult and horrifying to imagine let alone talk about. I too, liked how the poet tried to portray this in her poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your last paragrpah for I agree 100%. I always wonder why in classes now-a-days they always leave out the realistic parts of the history and always just sugar coat things. It's HISTORY so why not give us the information we all want to hear! Good blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to your first paragraph in the fact that I also used to live nearby but then moved to California and right back after 3 years, and two of my siblings live in northern Virgina. I agree with your paragraph about the poem and something i took away from my last history class is the fact that the teacher actually did depict all the gruesome details that had been lacked in history classes before that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy having you as a classmate Jarrod! I think that the trick you can do with your ear is hilarious, I have yet to of have seen anyone else that can do that. I completely agree with your statement about Frances Harper that "her attitude towards the United States reflected the feelings of many if not all African Americans during the time period".

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was very nice to meet you and hear about your great story of traveling back and forth. the noise you can make with your ear is extremely strange but definitely cool. ill enjoy having you as a class mate these next couple months and look forward in getting to know you more

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.