Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Exploration Two: Haia Ahmad

My name is Haia Ahmad and I am 18 years old. My fun fact was that I like to draw. I went to Dublin Scioto High School and while I was there, my favorite class was drawing. My favorite thing to draw is people because they have the most detail. At the end of last year, I was invited to be in the governor's art show, which was a big accomplishment for me. Other things I like to do are meeting new people and having new experiences. I do this whenever I travel over the summer and interact with the different cultures around me.


While researching Frederick Douglass, I read that his birth name was actually Frederick Augustus Washington Bailey, and had adopted a new surname after a character from a book called The Lady of the Lake. I found this interesting to me because it shows his true dedication to reading. Douglass wanted to make a name for himself literally and figuratively, and one of the things he did to accomplish that was add a surname.

One of the poems I enjoyed reading in class today was called For Brothers Everywhere. I liked that it stood out more than the other poems because it described an event like it was currently happening. It may have been a while ago from his past as a child, but he made it seem like he was there at that moment playing ball. Seibles not only wrote with the type of language he spoke as a kid, but he also spoke regular English.

One word out of Seibles's poem that I wanted to learn more about was schoolyard. He describes the noun throughout his poem as somewhere he enjoys visiting. Basketball meant a lot to him in his life which clearly describes his interests, while also being an author. The Oxford English Dictionary refers to schoolyard in the Rec. Borough Northampton quote "He holdeth alsoe one other piece of Grounde...on the left hande of the Gate entringe in to the Schoole yarde." Throughout history the term was used, even if it has changed a little over time. It is still important to know where things originated from especially if it has changed.


3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to travel, but have never been out of the country. Where are all the places you've been to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is very cool that you are a great artist an it is awesome that you were invited to the governors art show. I respect that because I know how hard art is based on my huge lack of art skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Haia! I really enjoy traveling and and experiencing different cultures too! I would love to experience the world more in the future. I also read and talked about Seible's poem. I liked his use of real street terms in italicized to make it seem more as if we were there in the schoolyard.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.