Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Exploration Two From Nathan Finneran

Hello, my name is Nathan Finneran, and I'm from Powell, Ohio. Ive lived in Powell my entire life with the exception or 3 years I spent living in Carlsbad California, a small city just north of San Diego. My Fun fact from the previous class was about my trip this past summer to Italy. As well as visiting Italy this summer I also attended a music festival called "Electric Forest" in Rothbury Michigan with some of my good friends (pictured below). I'm currently employed, and have been for 3 years now, at Discount tire.
I'm The one in the "Pretty Lights" shirt.
Frances E. W. Harper was born September 24th, 1825 in Baltimore, Maryland. In her early life Frances attended an all African American school which was run by her uncle Reverend William Watkins. Frances was raised most of her life by her aunt after the loss of her mother at a young age. She published her first collection of poetry in 1845 titled Forest Leaves. Years later Harper Moved to Ohio and began to work at a school run by abolitionist John Brown. Frances became dedicated to abolition when a law was passed in her home state allowing even free states to be arrested and sold into slavery. She became famous in 1859, when she became the first African American Female to ever publish a short story, which she titled " Two Offers". Harper later added to her legacy when she confounded The National Association of Colored Women in 1896 with Harriet Tubman, and many other famous female abolitionists.   
 http://www.biography.com/people/frances-ew-harper-40710

From the Poems we read today For Brothers Everywhere is my favorite. I enjoyed how the author mixed in slang to add to the tone of the poem. I also like ,in this poem, how it doesn't really have a deep meaning that is hard to understand its simply entertaining. One thin that stood out to me is how the author related basketball to jazz, and i liked this because its a unique and creative comparison.

By definition the word "soul" is the spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal. "Soul" is said to originally mean "coming from the sea" because the sea was thought to be the origin , as well as, the dwelling place of ones soul in ancient northern Europe.In the 1940's and 1950's soul began to be used to refer to the emotional and spiritual quality of African American life which was spread via music. Soul was considered a characteristic of various types of jazz, blues, and gospel music. In modern day soul is thought to refer to the moral or emotional aspect someone has. 
It is a popular opinion in older generations that modern pop music lacks the soul it had in the past.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Nathan, I think that it is really cool that you are from the same city as me. I also thought it was really interesting that Harper spent part of her life in Ohio. The word soul also stood out to me when I read the poem For Brothers Everywhere. When I think of the word soul I think of music too. I think that it is cool that he fit the word soul into the poem knowing that it is a huge part of their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also grown up in this area as well and traveled around Europe and in Italy! Your so lucky you got to go to Electric Forest! I'll have to go next year. I'm sorry to hear that you left California to come live her though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words cannot describe how jealous I am of you right now. I have always wanted to live in California, it seems like the perfect life there. I also am very jealous that you went to Electric Forest, it looks like the best EDM concert besides Tomorrowland. I agree with your statement that older generations say that music now a days has lost soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the research you did for the word soul to be really intriguing. I didn't know the history behind the word and that it was used prominently in music for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is a small world after all because I too grew up in Powell, but attended Worthington Kilbourne High School. I am envious that you are able to say you have been to California and Italy, both places I have always wanted to visit. I found it very interesting that the word soul means to come from the sea, but i agree with your comment on how today's music lacks the soul older generations of music had.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.