Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Exploration Two for Tony

My name is Tony Frantz, I am 18 years old and am from Dublin Ohio. I am currently attending The Ohio State University majoring in Criminology with the hope of becoming a Police Officer one day. A fun fact about myself is that I like to spend most of my time outdoors adventuring and discovering new things. I am always up for a new challenge, as I am eager to conquer anything that stands in my way towards success.
I chose to do some research on Fredrick Douglass as for his actions have made a great impact on me. Fredrick Douglass really caught my attention after reading his life stories of never backing down from a challenge. Fredrick Douglass was born into the slavery era where all blacks were despised of many rights such as reading and writing; however, Douglass did not let white people stand in his path of learning. When Douglass was denied the access to learn the alphabet, he created his own way of learning it as he would go to the local white boys in the neighborhood and secretly self teach himself from their mistakes. Fredrick Douglass was so determined to be a free man and to speak out about the wrongs that whites inflicted on blacks, that he tried escaping two times from slavery  until finally on his third attempt he had succeeded. For his determination to be set free and announce to the world his beliefs was one of the most admirable things about Fredrick Douglass.

The poem Songs for the People was one of my favorite poems that was read in class today. This poem talks about how music can bring and add more life into someone. It also explains no matter who the person may be, music is always there to comfort someone which I find to be very true. This poem really had me hooked, because I am a big believer in music being the cure to ones emotions. What really stuck out to me was when quoted "Our world, so worn and weary, needs music, pure and strong, to hush the jangle and discords, of sorrow, pain, and wrong". That verse states the truth as I see people day to day listening to music to overcome a certain emotion, and not only to overcome grief but also putting a person into an uplifting/happy mood. That is why Songs for the People was my favorite poem.

My favorite word from the poem Songs for the People is shadow. The word shadow meaning to intercept light a tract of partial darkness produced by a body intercepting the direct rays of the sun or other luminary. Every person has their own personal shadow wether it be in the rain or sun, a shadow always appears. A shadow is portrayed as a creepy and scary darkness; however, a persons shadow is always by their side wether they see it or not. A persons shadow is like their own personal guardian angel that never leaves their side until they are tucked into bed at night all safe and sound. As the following morning arrives so does ones shadow, for their shadow is there for them every morning and night as if its your best friend never wanting to leave your side. Some important people in your life such as friends, family members, and teachers are always there for you until one day like everybody else they pass away and enter a new world, and as they enter a new world so does their shadow. As the sun and stars shine down upon us with their glimmering light, our own shadow is casted right next to us until tucked safe away in bed at night. For the sun and stars are like heaven, as the glimmering light is our deceased loved ones shining down upon us creating a shadow for them to follow and protect us day to day until safe at night. The shadow that is so dark and grey is here to stay throughout the night and day, until at last I decide to cast it away.





7 comments:

  1. I think it's cool that you want to become a police officer someday! I also liked how you related the poem Songs for the People to how we use music today to help us overcome a situation or put you in a better mood. Good stuff Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to what you're saying about the fact that music can cure or even effect someones emotions, depending on what is going on in their day to day life. I feel as if that is very true, for I also chose the poem Songs for the People, it stood out to me the most out of all the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also from Dublin and have done a lot of adventuring outdoors. I think music is an universal language and I agree with you that music can lift someone's emotions, no matter who the person is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved to be outside and am always in search of a adventure! I really like the ideas of the poem, "Songs For the People" because we all are affected by the music we listen to. It's crazy that music has the power to change how we are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your take on life is amazing, and how you want challenges just so you can over come them is something everyone should look for in life. I also agree with the quote you included in your blog. Being hugely into music I agree with every word you, and Fredrick Douglas had to say. Good luck on being able to achieve all your goals and overcoming any challenges that may stand in your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from dublin too and songs for the people was also my favorite poem and i really like how you viewed the poem. i think music does totally have an impact on how someone is feeling

    ReplyDelete
  7. criminology sounds like a fun major, my sister majored in criminology here and said she loved it! Also its so interesting how Fredrick taught himself literacy via trickery

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.