Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Exploration 2 by Victoria Castellano

Hi my name is Victoria Castellano and I graduated from Worthington Kilbourne High School.  I work at Raising Cane's chicken fingers and have been working there for a little over a year now.  The fun fact that I shared about myself in class was that I have three dogs.  My oldest dog who is three, is a pitbull named Atlas that I rescued a little over 2 years ago.  My second oldest dog, who my dad got for me as a birthday present last year, is a German Shepherd pup named Gracie.  My youngest dog is a 3 month old Saint Bernard puppy who was named Panzer after the German world war 2 tank force.

 Frederick Douglas was a man who lived in the 1800s and was born into slavery.  Douglas was born in Talbot Country, Maryland where he lived on a plantation.  Douglas learned how to read and write from the wife of the next house he was sent to.  When the husband found out he banned his wife from teacher Douglas anymore but Douglas went on to learn more about how to read and write from the neighborhood write boys.  Douglas went on to accomplish many great things.  After escaping slavery, Frederick Douglas went on to lead an abolitionist movement.he was married twice ans was even elected for office.  He later died in February of 1985 in Washington D.C.

The first poem we read in class today I honestly was not a fan of.  I did not enjoy the topic or the way the author had written it.  Though the use of slang was appropriate in that specific poem, I do not enjoy to read slang and poems that are written in such a way.  The second poem was definitely my favorite of the two and i mostly thing it is because of the topic of the second poem being more relevant and interesting.  Bury Me In a Free Land I noticed flowed a lot better than For Brothers Everywhere and the vocabulary that was used in Bury Me in a Free World was more advanced. I feel as if Bury Me In A Free World was by far the better poem.

My favorite word in the poem Bury Me In a Free World was "pure".  I believe that this word holds a lot of outside meaning as well as what it adds to the poem.  Pure to me sounds like a nice, and clean description of something.  The actual meaning out of the Oxford English Dictionary is not mixed or adulterated.  This means that if something is pure, there has been nothing added to it or mixed into it.  The most interesting thing I discovered about the word is that it was originally Angelo-Norman.  It has one of the purest histories!

4 comments:

  1. I like your honesty of admitting that you didn't enjoy the first poem we read. That's really bold. I admire that you are able to express when you don't enjoy a piece, because so many times in English I think we force ourselves into enjoying something or acting like we enjoy the reading just for the sake of the class.
    Also, I liked how instead of sharing and emotion of what you felt while reading the poem, you shared why you thought it was better based on diction. That's a unique perspective to show, one I struggle with doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Victoria! It's funny that you work at Canes because I worked there last year as well! I also really love the names of your dogs! They all have such a nice meaning to them! Especially Panzer! Dogs are definitely a girl's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tori! I think its so crazy that we know a lot of the same people! I love your last paragraph about the word pure, i feel like it represents so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Victoria, Saint Bernards and German shepards are 2 of my kinds of dogs. Also I think its awesome that you work at canes because that place is so good. Your a true inspiration to us all for keeping that place alive.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.