Monday, September 8, 2014

Exploration 2 by Nate Allen


My name is Nate Allen and my fun fact is that I play rugby for Ohio State. I come from a family with 6 children, Jana, Katie, Ritchie, Robbie, Nick and myself, But unfortunately my brother Nick passed away last year. I went to Moeller High School in Cincinnati where I wrestled and played rugby. I wanted to play rugby for Ohio State more than anything so that is why I am here now.

I researched Frederick Douglas and I found some cool things. He was born in Talbot County, Maryland and was born under the name Frederick Bailey due to being born into slavery with his mother. He fell in love with a free black woman named Anna Murray who gave him enough courage to try to escape for the third and final time and he found success by boarding a train going to the free northern states.
http://www.biography.com/people/frederick-douglass-9278324#life-in-slavery

I really love the poem "For Brothers Everywhere" by Tim Seibles. It's probably the only poem that I have read and actually enjoyed. I like how he uses proper english and then reverts back to the way friends talk to each other or common street talk. He made the simple act of shooting a basketball more interesting than most of the things I have read before. He showed both sides of an event, two different cultural ways to converse or explain a situation.

1 comment:

  1. Nate, I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. That is something hard to bear and I"m sure you carry it with you all the time.

    Happy on the other hand to hear you enjoyed that poem, and hope it will be the first of many surprises of things you like in the class. Thanks for your good first post!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.