Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Exploration 2 by Kelen Jones

My fun fact was that I have seven siblings. I have four brothers and three sisters. I have two dogs. I am the second youngest of my siblings. I went to high school at Thomas Worthington, where I competed in varsity soccer and basketball. I am majoring in Political Science at The Ohio State University.


When researching Frances Harper an interesting fact that I came across, on Wikipedia,  was that "She helped or held high office in several national, progressive organizations." Things like "The American Anti-Slavery Society."  I believe this is interesting because this was before women could even vote. So to have an African-American woman not only a part of a national organization but a key part in some of them. She wanted equal rights for not only women but for people of color, and really anyone that was told that they couldn't. Frances Harper made a huge impact towards everyone having equal rights, but died nine years before she could see women voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Harper

My favorite poem was 'Bury Me in a Free Land' by Frances Harper. I enjoyed this poem because I liked the pattern of rhyming the end of two sentences together. It made the poem seem to flow easier, and have a more relaxed tone. It especially seemed interesting because she chose to have the poem like that with what her subject was. It was all about blood and loss, but is meant to be read in such a calming way it almost seems wrong.

Coffle or another form is Kaffle: "A train of men fastened together" or more specifically "A gang of slaves chained and driven along together" I chose this word because I was not sure what it meant when reading the poem. After reading what the Oxford English Dictionary had, I feel that the line that the word coffle is in makes much more sense. Which actually helped to better understand the poem as a whole.

7 comments:

  1. That's crazy that you have seven siblings! I had a hard enough time dealing with one, so I don't think I could have handled that many. I respect you for putting up with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on how Frances Harper made and impact on everyone, especially women and African Americans. She wanted to make a change for everyone and it certainly brought attention towards the topic. It sucks that she didn't get to see women end up being able to vote later on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, so glad to be out of Thomas!!! Haha but I also enjoyed reading your last paragraph because I also agree that the last paragraph flowed very nicely and was a lot more relaxed than the others! Happy blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Frances Harper is a great idol for everyone because she stands up for what she believes in. I think that it would've been really cool for her to stay alive and see African Americans vote. I agree with you that the poem she wrote flowed really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats crazy how many siblings you have! I only have three and I thought I had a large family. I also would not know what the word coffle means, also I agree with your statement "It was all about blood and loss, but is meant to be read in such a calming way". Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have soooo many siblings!! In my family its only me and my older sister who is 22! I always wanted brothers so im pretty jealous haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on how amazing Frances Harper was, and it is real tragic that she wasn't able to be around when all her hard work finally paid off. I also enjoyed reading " Bury me in a Free Land" and you are right how actually knowing what coffle meant helped with the understanding of the entire poem.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.